Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Review: The First Love Cookie Club by Lori Wilde

Book Description

"On Christmas Eve, if you sleep with kismet cookies under your pillow and dream of your one true love, he will be your destiny."

The townsfolk of Twilight, Texas, believe the legend, but not Sarah Collier--not since she was a pudgy teenager, running down the church aisle on Christmas Day in a jingle bell sweater and reindeer antlers, trying to stop Travis Walker from marrying someone else. She may be grown-up, slimmed-down, bestselling children's book author "Sadie Cool"now, but Sarah will never forget that day. And she'll never fall foolishly in love again

But when a letter from a sick fan brings Sarah back to Twilight, she's shocked to discover that Travis is the little girl's father--unattached and hotter than ever. His smile still makes her melt, but Sarah knows that ship has sailed. Travis, however, might have different ideas.
(Description from Goodreads)

Genre: Romance, Contemporary Romance

Series: Twilight, Texas #3
Does the series need to be read in order? No


Review

    Liked
  • The kismet cookie tradition is really cute. I wish the author had included a recipe in the book. I'd like to dream of my true love, but then again, I don't think I could deal with crumbs in my bed. Would a baggie interfere with the magic?
  • Do not read this book if you are not in or do not want to be in the holiday spirit. It's a giant Christmas cheeseball. I was in a holiday mood so I ate it up.
  • I really loved how Travis is such a devoted dad even to the point of almost screwing things up with Sarah.
  • Sarah and Travis had good chemistry and their backstory was great. I love how they were both knit up in the community even though Sarah didn't really want to be.
  • Twilight, TX (the setting) is as much a character as the people are. I enjoyed the vivid descriptions of the town, her people, and her history. The sense of place was very well-crafted.

    Liked Less
  • I didn't buy Sarah's relationship with Jazzy because we didn't get to see enough of their interactions. I can understand feeling protective of a seriously sick child, but the depth of love she is said to feel is out of proportion to the circumstances that we're shown.
  • The Raylene plotline was clumsily handled. Although the book is all in third person, there was still a notable switch in tone for the parts focusing on Raylene. Although that subplot later re-integrates into the main Sarah/Travis storyline, the shifts are jolting. I think that particular plotline could have been integrated in a way that didn't pull the reader out of the story.
  • The sex scenes were kind of weird to me. They came across as somewhat awkward.

I managed to find the kismet cookie recipe!


TL; DR

A fun, delicious Christmas cheese-fest; only to be read if you're in the holiday spirit.


Rating

Knight of Swords
An average read. I may or may not read other books in the series.


Disclosure: I purchased this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment