Friday, May 17, 2013

Review: Rock Hard by Olivia Cunning

Rock Hard by Olivia Cunning

An ultimatum can break your heart....

Every night lead singer, Sed Lionheart whips thousands of women into a frenzy with his voice alone. But the stage is the only place Sed feels any passion since he lost Jessica...

If you’re not willing to break all the rules...

It shattered her heart, but law student Jessica broke off her engagement to Sed, determined to be successful on her own terms. But no other man can ever hold a candle to Sed...

Then a chance meeting and tortuously close quarters lead to uncontrollable flares of passion and rediscovery of their unique penchant for public encounters. Now, in addition to the risk of mutual heartbreak every time they get together, they’re in danger of truly scandalous public exposure...
(Description from Goodreads)

Genre: Erotic Romance

Series: Sinners on Tour #2
Does the series need to be read in order? No

Review

    Liked
  • I enjoyed catching up with the band. Despite this being a romance book that focuses on one couple, the other members of the band play a big role. It's nice to catch up with everyone from the previous book.
  • One of the (many) plotlines dealt with addiction to painkillers. It's a big issue and it's good to see a book addressing it.
  • The heroine, Jessica, is striving to be independent. Sometimes she approaches it in annoying ways but I understand her reasons.

    Liked Less
  • The plotline where Jessica can't succeed in law school because she's too beautiful and can't get no respect made me roll my eyes so often that I now know every spot that I need to dust on my ceiling. I'm not buying it.
  • Sed was a controlling jerk.
  • While I respected Jessica's need for independence, I didn't really like her most of the time.
  • Why was everybody in the band so mad at Jessica? I understand that they're being loyal to their bandmate but as adults they should recognize that there are 2 sides to every story. Also, knowing Sed, I'm sure they wouldn't have to take too far of a leap of faith to see how he could be a controlling jerk in a relationship.
  • The sex scenes were repetitive and very vanilla.

TL; DR

After immensely enjoying the first book in this series, a dislike of the hero and heroine made this book a difficult read for me.

Rating

Page of Swords
Has some good points that are unfortunately overwhelmed by bad points/flaws. I will probably continue with the series because I enjoyed the first book so much.


Disclosure: I purchased this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment